Mother’s day is only a few days away, and if you are a new mom (or soon-to-be), or a friend of one, I know exactly why you’re here. Looking for must haves for new moms is especially hard if this is also your first time — being a mom, attending a baby shower, or searching for a mother’s day gift.
Being a mom is one of life’s greatest achievements. But we also know that what lies behind this achievement is a heavy responsibility that requires tremendous effort, especially for those first-time moms.
Hence, the least I can do is help you come up with the list of best presents for awesome new mommies out there, whatever occasion there may be.
This post contains links for items to purchase. I make a commission on any sales.
Budget and Baby-Friendly Must-Haves for New Moms
New moms and firstborns need to prepare plenty of things at the beginning of their journey. From baby clothes, to feeding gear, to bath essentials, to strollers and carriers, to playthings all the way up to postpartum needs. There’s just a wide variety of things you can give to a new mom. And I’ve made sure that all of those options are represented here.
Whether you’re searching for items to list in your baby registry or for gift ideas for the upcoming Mother’s Day or a friend’s baby shower, this guide of must-haves for new moms will help you out big time.
It’s not easy to decide on the perfect gift. Hence, I’ve rounded up some reliable, budget, and baby-friendly must-haves for new moms items below to help you out.
Must-haves for New Moms #1: Baby Clothes
When you hear of babies, I bet the first gift idea that comes to your mind is baby clothes. Yes, this is one of the most common gifts you can give, but I made it a point to list baby clothes that are not only cute but pretty unique in their own ways too.
- Disney Princess Short Sleeve Bodysuit — What could be cuter than a baby Disney princess? If the baby’s gender has been revealed and she’s a girl, this Disney princess-inspired baby bodysuit is a perfect gift to make her days feel enchanting and magical!
- GOT Onesie — Baby’s parents are huge Game Of Thrones fans? New mom and dad will surely love this GOT-themed onesie!
- Snuggle This Muggle Onesie — Not a GOT fan but a Potterhead? If the new mom is a big Harry Potter fan, she will absolutely appreciate this magically cute gift!
- FRIENDS Onesie — Okay, not a GOT fan or HP fan? You must be a Friends fan! No one can say no to this cute and funny Friends-themed onesie!
- Goku Cartoon Romper Baby Clothes — This one is for those anime fans! Delight a weeb mom with this Goku-themed romper for her baby!
Must-have Baby Gears
If the first section is all about spoiling new moms with their favorite-inspired stuff, this section will be about baby gears that new moms certainly can’t live without.
- Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat — A car seat is essential basically because hospitals won’t let you go home with your precious baby without one of these. This car seat has a 4-position extension panel that sets out up to 5” of extra rear-facing legroom, which is safer for your child when traveling.
- Baby Bassinet — A bassinet is necessary for babies to have a safe and comfortable sleep. This bassinet is not just adjustable but it’s also easy to assemble. It has air mesh on both sides and comes with a music box and detachable toy as well.
- DaVinci Union 4-in-1 Convertible Crib — You might have decided to co-sleep with your baby for now, but the time will come that you’ll want him/her to sleep on his/her own. It would be great to prepare a crib that is phthalate-free, lead-safe, and non-toxic.
- Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel System — Of course, this list will not be complete without a stroller. This stroller has terrain bicycle tires, a canopy with a covered sunroof, a reclining padded seat, and a child’s tray with cup holders.
- Infantino Flip Advanced 4-in-1 Carrier — Using a baby carrier will allow you to hold your baby close without using your hands. This baby carrier has an adjustable ergonomic seat, shoulder straps, and waist belt to keep both parents and baby comfortable.
Baby Bath Essentials
Bathing is fun and relaxing until you have to bathe your baby. This task can be scary at first, but with the proper baby bath supplies, this can be your favorite bonding moment. Here are some products to make sure that your baby will have a fun and safe bath time
- NumNum Pre-Spoon GOOtensils — Unlike regular spoons, this NumNum Pre-Spoon GOOtensils has an innovative flat design. This lessens the mess from scooping, plus it also serves as a good teether spoon. This toddler utensil set includes two spoons: a Stage One GOOtensil perfect for purees for beginners and a Stage Two GOOtensil for solid foods for kids who have already learned self-feeding.
- Avanchy Bamboo Baby Bowl & Spoon — If you still prefer using the usual pair of a baby bowl and spoon to feed your baby, this Avanchy Bamboo Baby Bowl & Spoon would be a great choice. Aside from being plastic, BPA, PVC, lead, and phthalate-free, it also comes with a silicone ring that serves as a handy suction base for the bowl to prevent spilling.
- mushie Silicone Baby Bib — This unisex mushie silicone baby bib will be a great baby shower gift. It’s made from food-grade silicone and is phthalate and BPA-free. Plus, this baby bib also has built-in neck fasteners for a comfy fit and a deep front pocket to catch food and keep your baby clean.
- Munchkin Miracle 360 Trainer Cup — These toddler cups have a dentist-approved design that helps normal muscle development in the mouth and, at the same time, teaches the baby to drink from the rim on their own. The cup automatically seals shut after drinking to prevent spills.
- OXO Tot Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers — These baby food storage containers are perfect for storing homemade baby food. It has a leak-proof seal that prevents any kinds of mess, plus a clear body and lid that allow contents to be easily visible.
Playtime is also necessary for your baby’s development. From cognitive and physical to social and emotional growth, play allows babies to learn things about themselves and their environment. Here are some of the most useful playthings to support your baby’s growth.
- Skip Hop Treetop Friends Baby Play Mat and Infant Activity Gym — This playmat is a nature-inspired activity center that comes with five hanging toys attached to thirteen easy-to-hang-hoops. It’s easier to assemble and disassemble and affordable than other playmats too.
- Skip Hop Baby Musical Toys: Explore & More Egg Shaker Trio — These shakers come in trio and in colorful animal shapes: fox, owl, and hedgehog. Each of these shakers also makes a unique sound which makes it more interesting for babies.
- Skip Hop Bandana Buddies Baby Activity and Teething Toy — This plush toy features a bandana teething toy, an ear mirror, a multi-patterned ribbon, and a rattle ring perfect for fun and multi-sensory play. This toy can be your baby’s first companion as he/she grows up.
- Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball — This toy is perfect for babies 6 months and up. It has chunky-sized bumps that help your baby develop tactile sensitivity and encourage simple tasks such as grasping, holding, and reaching. It also has bright colors and bold patterns which helps develop your baby’s vision.
- Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle & Sensory Teether Toy — Aside from being a great chew toy for babies because of its colorful BPA-free teething tubes, this toy also encourages clutching and two-handed play. It’s safe for newborns and is definitely one of the must-haves for new moms.
Baby Shower Gifts for New Moms
New moms will be happy to receive gifts for their babies, but their hearts will surely melt if you also remember to get her something useful for this life-changing journey. Here are some must-haves for our soon-to-be moms.
- Burt’s Bees Mama Bee Gift Set —This gift set is complete with lip balm, leg and foot cream, and smooth belly butter — everything a new mom could ask for when she wants to pamper herself after a long day.
- New Mom Gift | Care Package — If you think that the first gift set won’t suffice, this relaxation gift set might just be what you’re looking for. This package has a handmade lavender eye pillow, an aromatherapy essential oil roller, a dry shampoo with peppermint and rosemary scent, a pair of cozy socks, and a personalized greeting card.
- Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter — Nipple butter is essential for moms during their postpartum period. And although there’s plenty of nipple creams you can find in the market, Earth Mama Organics is still one of the most trusted and well-loved brands of all time. It’s effective, 100% USDA Certified organic, non-GMO, and made with organic beeswax.
- Ekouaer Maternity Nursing Robe — This robe is perfect during pregnancy, labor, and even delivery. It has an ultra-deep pocket where you can put all your essentials such as smartphones or breast pads.
- 2 in 1 Postpartum Belly Wrap Waist — Belly wraps are ideal during the postpartum period to help moms ease back pains, reduce discomfort, and promote recovery. This belly wrap is made of breathable and comfortable material that provides comfort throughout mom’s healing process.
Found the Best Gift for New Moms?
Share your thoughts with us! Let us know if we missed a must-have mom essential and we’ll be more than glad to add it to our list!